FAC Demands 50% by 2025
More than 50% of Minnesota is female. But we are not 50% of leadership.
Not in elected office, not in management positions, not on corporate boards, not in positions of leadership and authority.
- In fact, women are staggeringly underrepresented in city government. ONE IN FOUR city councils has no women and 72% of Minnesota’s city council members are men.
- NONE of Minnesota’s 21 Fortune 500 companies are led by a woman, and women hold just 14.3% of most corporate board seats.
- Almost 1/3 of the state’s three-seat legislative districts (two House and one Senate) include NO women and 2/3rds of those are in rural areas of the state.
- More than HALF of Minnesota’s county commissions include NO women.
- Only 16% of Minnesota’s mayors are women.
- Since 2004, only 37% of Minnesota’s school board members have been women.
- Representation has actually fallen from a historic high of 15% (1998) to the current 14%. It’s not getting better. We need it to get better. The reasons are innumerable and it’s ridiculous to recount them. Simply: If women are 50% of humans, women should be 50% of leaders.
We’re starting in Duluth. Right here, right now. We are committed to leading Minnesota into a new era of progress, one in which inequality has no place at the table, and women do- whether that table is in our state capitol, our corporate conference rooms, our council chambers, or our county commissions. We are committed to achieving representative leadership in a measurable way: 50% of our leaders will be women, by 2025.
50/2025. Listen to us. Hire us. Vote for us. Join us. Support us.
Data from Women's Foundation of Minnesota
- Do this yourself for your business. Ideas on how are in the links below. Know a business that's succeeding? Let us know at the form below. We will be celebrating these organizations.
- Help your employer do this.
- Are you a woman who wants to run for office?
- Stay tuned for more actions. Sign up for our newsletter (below the form).
Please share info about who has gender parity in leadership
Subscribe To Hear More
Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates about 50% x 2025.
SOURCE: Women’s Foundation of Minnesota